It’s unfortunate, but true – every so often, a problem may just arise within your home that needs urgent attention.
With certain issues, there might be something that you can do to fix the problem yourself. However, when it comes to the tricky reality of problems within your home’s electrical system, this is very rarely possible and often a dangerous thing to even attempt. When it comes to DIY, electrical issues aren’t usually worth the risk – and it may be better to hand over the problem to someone more qualified to fix it.
Here are just a few common household problems, along with whether or not they’re a sign that it’s time to call in a professional electrician.
If an appliance seems to have suddenly stopped working, it could be a sign of a blown fuse. You’ve probably been told in the past that this is easy enough to fix for yourself – in some cases, this is true, but it may also be a sign of a problem that should be handed over to a professional.
The first step to working out the scale of the problem in this instance is to inspect the plug and the wiring of the appliance. Do they seem to be in good condition? If so, it may be as simple as replacing the fuse within the plug. This is fairly easy to do – simply take note of the fuse’s amperage, pick up a new fuse in your local hardware store and carefully remove the screws under the base of the plug. Once you’ve re-placed the blown fuse with the new one, you should be able to use it as normal.
If this doesn’t work, it may be something that a professional electrician could help you with.
If, on your visual inspection, there appears to be any scorch marks, burn or other visual damage to either the plug or the wiring, do not attempt to fix the problem yourself – or to plug in the appliance and switch it on again. In these cases, there may be an electrocution risk and the problem is best seen to by a professional.
If you find that you’re often dealing with the problem of blown fuses, this could also be a sign of a wider issue within your fuse box, which may need to be replaced with a new one. This is a problem that needs to be handed over to the professionals in order to get your home’s appliances back into good working order.
When it comes to noticing exposed wiring, whether on a light bulb attached to the ceiling or an externally plugged-in appliance, our advice is fairly straightforward – never attempt to fix this yourself. Exposed wiring is a sure sign that there may be risk of an electric shock.
If the exposed wiring is attached to a heavy duty appliance, expensive or difficult to replace appliance or the wiring is attached directly to your home’s electrical systems (ceiling light bulbs, aerial connections, etc.), call an electrician for advice. They may be able to fix the problem. If the exposed wiring is a part of an appliance which is fairly cheap and easy to replace, we’d recommend just replacing the appliance alto-gether – it may be a little inconvenient, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Sure, you can change a light bulb – but we wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself when it comes to any sort of complex lighting installation or repairs.
If you encounter a problem with internal lighting such as spotlights or are looking to have a new lighting installation set up, we’d always recommend that you call in a professional to do this for you. Lighting installation and repairs can be complex – not only will calling on the assistance of a professional make this both easier and safer, but it leaves you less at risk of needing further repairs in the long run.
Need Assistance? Give Us A Call
Complete Solution Services are specialists in servicing your needs as a valued cus-tomer or long-term client. We are a Sheffield based company who offer solutions that cover the smallest repair to large projects, fully managed by ourselves with our team of Electricians, Builders, Plumbers, Joiners, Painters etc. Our flexible approach allows us to listen to your needs and exceed them at every opportunity. Our exten-sive knowledge also gives us the edge in improvements and efficiencies.
If you’ve encountered any of these problems recently or are looking for assistance with any other electrical problem within your home, get in touch today.